THE SMITHS OF ABRAHAM, W.VA.
George Washington Smith Sr. and Catherine Bennett
Updated Nov. 27, 2017
IMPORTANT NOTICE. The images on this site – photos and obituaries – were stored online in Photobucket. I am in the process of switching over to Dropbox. If a link doesn’t work, please email me and I will send you the image. George Washington Smith Sr. (Dec.12, 1826/ Jan. 19, 1862) and Catherine "Kate" Bennett (November 1825, Greenbrier County, W.Va./Nov. 7,1904 Raleigh County) were married on April 13, 1848, in Fayette County, W.Va. (Photo of Catherine shared by Cousin Susan.)
George Sr. was a son of Jacob Smith Sr. and second wife Jane Kincaid. Children of Jacob Sr. and Jane were George, Samuel, Susan, Harmon, Andrew, Huldah, Thomas, Annie, Charles, James, Davis, Clarkson and Jacob Smith Jr. Children of Jacob Sr. and first wife Susan (also seen as Suzanna) Campbell were Campbell, William, John, Mary "Polly," Virginia Jane, Elizabeth "Betsy," Washington, Ruth, Canada, Lewis, Joseph and Nancy.
Catherine "Kate" Bennett was a daughter of Jacob Bennett (Find a Grave) and Nancy Eleanor Plumley (Find a Grave). Children of Jacob and Nancy were Catherine, Jackson, Frances "Fanny," Henry, Ephram, Andrew John, Washington, Susan and Robert. Kate and George Sr. had nine children -- four daughters and five sons -- according to a list given to me by Eda Smith Ellison. George Sr was buried in the New Salem Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery (New Salem) at Abraham, Raleigh County, W.Va. George: Find A Grave Memorial 14525213.
It is believed that George Sr. served in the Confederate cavalry and died in the U.S. Civil War during the Battle of Gauley Mountain, Fayette County, W.Va. A monument with the following inscription was put in place on his grave by descendants Charlie Jones and Denny Todd, according to one of George’s granddaughters:
KILLED IN BATTLE OF GAULEY MOUNTAIN
IN THE WAR BETWEEN THE STATES
Family historian David Arnold Smith of Grafton, W.Va., (see tribute, In Memory) in a March 11, 1999, letter to Dale McLaughlin, wrote:
"...Mr. Jones, not living from Baltimore, from General Marion (Smith) line said when he was in high school he did a history report and asked his Uncle George W. Smith Jr. what killed his dad and he said he was shot off a horse fighting for the south. Mr. Jones said he did some research and the date of his death matches the Battle of Gauley Mountain. Mr. Jones did get the Tombstone before he died so the information would not be lost. Another side of General Marion family that lived in Meadow Creek said he (George Sr.) was killed in a logging accident. I do know that an old Ral. Fay. (Raleigh Fayette) Gen. News Letter listed a George Smith killed in Fay. Co. as a Confederate, but I do not know if this is (our) George. This information was (gotten) several years ago by the Daughters of the Confederacy at the Fay. Co. Court House."
George and Catherine's home
A caption to a photo at Raleigh County Landmarks: Abraham home of George Sr. and Kate reads: As far as we know, this is the oldest existing home in Raleigh County. That site seems to be gone. But the same picture is on New River WV album 44.
A Hinton Daily News, Summers County, W.Va., article, 05 Nov 1974, written by Eva Smith:
Smith Descendants Repair
‘Oldest House In Abraham’
Descendants of George Smith are restoring the house he built in Richmond District at least 120 years ago.
Earl and Carl Bennett, both of Beckley , are painting, leveling, underpinning and repairing the roof of the house where they spent part of their childhood.
Earl Bennett said he believes the house is the oldest standing in Richmond District. It was put together with logs and pegs and inside the ceiling joists were made by a whip saw.
George Smith, who the descendents think is the original builder, had several children including Marion Smith and George Washington Smith.
Marion ’s daughter, Effie Smith Bennett, and her husband David also lived in the house. Their children included Earl and Carl, who now jointly own the house, Mrs. Ruth Pack and Mrs. Sona Pack, both of Nimitz, Mrs. Stella Adkins, Shady Spring, Dexter Plumley (of) Abraham, Noah, White Oak, Kyle of Delaware, John, Beckley, and Edward and Homer, Cleveland , Ohio .
Mrs. Bennett, 83, is now a patient in Pinecrest Hospital .
The house is in Abraham overlooking New River . The brothers plan to put siding on the ends of the house but leave the front and back logs exposed.
The house has been empty for ten years since Mrs. Sona Pack, the fourth generation, lived there.
Earl Bennett said that his main reason for restoring the old house is “for my grandchildren.”
Newspaper photo caption: RESTORATION OF OLD HOUSE – A house in Abraham which is reported to be over 120 years old is being renovated by descendants of the original builder, George Smith. Pictured here are Oather Todd, an Abraham resident who’s helping with repairs, Jessie Adkins, Beckley, who is also a Smith descendent, Earl Bennett, Beckley, part owner and great grandson of George Smith, his brother Noah Bennett, and Earl Smith, a grandson, both of White Oak. (See story on page one).
NOTE: Three of their sons -- Ervin, Marion and George Jr. -- operated Smith Brothers, a large general merchandise store, in Abraham, W.Va.
Children of George Sr. and Kate
FRANCES "FRANKY" SMITH. Franky was born in 1849 in Fayette County, W.Va. (Larry G. Shuck, Our Families: Shuck, Fleshman, Sydenstricker, Smith, Lewis, Kincaid, Keister, et. al., of West Virginia, (Gateway Press Inc., Baltimore, MD, 1995). Page 114, 122.) In 1867 Franky married William H. Meadows, who was born in 1846 in Greenbrier County, Va. (W.Va.). I haven’t been able to find any records of her birth, marriage or death beyond the information in Our Families. The 1870 federal census shows Frances and William Meadows living in Fayette County with their sons Lewis M. Meadows and Marion Meadows. Apparently, after Mr. Meadows’ death or a divorce and Franky’s remarriage to William Carter, the boys adopted their stepfather’s last name. Or, here is another theory: maybe William Meadows and William Carter are the same man. I have no facts to indicate that, other than fact census records have the same birth year, 1846, for each. By January 1908, William Carter was dead – a news article refers to Franky as the Widow Carter. Franky’s children and their birth years, according to Mr. Shuck’s research unless otherwise indicated: 1. Marion (Meadows) Carter, born 1868. Marion Carter, 53, single, died on Oct. 9, 1921, in McKendree, Fayette County, of “dilatation of the heart” with “fracture of the spine” as a contributory factor. Death certificate. Marion fell off a scaffold while painting Buck Lick store and broke his back. (Back Broken, The Raleigh Register, Beckley, W.Va., Friday, Oct. 14, 1921, Page 2. Reprint from Montgomery News) 2. Lewis Marshall (Meadows) Carter, born in December 1869, according to the 1900 census. (U.S. Federal Census. Year: 1900; Census Place: Green Sulphur, Summers, West Virginia; Roll: 1773; Page: 2A; Enumeration District: 0127; FHL microfilm: 1241773) The birth date on his tombstone looks to be Dec. 14, 1867. Marshall died on 15 Jun 1938 in Fayette County. His parents are listed as Bill Carter and Frankie Carter on his death certificate. Marshall Carter married Virginia “Jennie” Bennett in 1904 in Raleigh County, W.Va. Marriage record. Virginia was born in September 1885 in Raleigh County, W.Va., and died in March 1922 in West Virginia. They are buried in Prince Cemetery, Fayette County, W.Va. (Also known as the Carter-Tolley Cemetery). Find A Grave Memorial 135741942 and 135742267,3. Sarah Katherine Carter, born 1872. She married John Andrew Goddard, a widower, in 1897 in Summers County. Marriage record. John married his first wife Lillie McClanahan, daughter of George McClanahan, in 1891 in Fayette County. Marriage record. Lillie, 23, died in 1896 in Fayette County. Death record. Sarah, a widow, died on 29 Mar 1928 in Quinnimont, Fayette County, W.Va. Death record.4. Nancy A. Carter, born 1874 in West Virginia.5. Rachel E. Carter, born 1876. She married J.N. Martin on Dec. 4, 1907. Marriage record. Rachel disappeared on the morning of Jan. 6, 1908. Her body was found in 1910. The Disappearing Bride: What happened to Rachel? 6. Mary E. Carter, born 1878. She married Oliver Bowles, son of Irvin Bowles and Sylvira Bragg Bowles, in 1893 in Summers County. Marriage record.7. Rebecca E. Carter, born 13 Dec 1878 in Summers County, W.Va. (Ancestry, West Virginia, Births Index, 1804-1938, FHL Film Number: 589340.) NANCY JANE SMITH. According to Our Families, Page 123, Nancy was born April 20, 1852, Fayette County, and died Jan. 9, 1893, Fayette County. She married Joseph Henry Adkins. on Oct. 22, 1868, in Raleigh County. Joseph was born in 1832 and died July 19, 1891, in Raleigh County. Joseph's death record. Nancy was buried in New Salem Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery, Abraham. Find A Grave Memorial 70446990. Children of Nancy and Joseph (from Our Families): 1. Henry Jackson Adkins, born 1868.
2. Rebecca Adkins, born on Jan. 3, 1869, in Raleigh County, according to Raleigh County, West Virginia Birth Records, 1853-75, and her tombstone. Married Lewis Marshall Bennett on Sept. 17, 1886. Rebecca Adkins Bennett, 25, died on April 20, 1894, the day she gave birth to her fourth child, Rosa Adkins. The cause listed on Rebecca's Raleigh County death record was consumption. On May 13, 1894, less than a month later, baby girl Rosa died. The cause of death was hives. Death record. Rebecca's other children were Bertie, 1887 birth record; William, 1891 birth record; and Clarence, 1889 birth record, obituary. On Aug. 29, 1894, Lewis married Rachel Adkins in Raleigh County. Marriage record. Rebecca and sons Clarence and William are buried in New Salem Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery, Abraham, Raleigh County, W.Va. Find A Grave Memorial# 70447027
3. Buchannon Adkins, born 1870.
4. Richard Adkins, born 1872.
5. Jane Adkins, born July 1876 at New River, Fayette County.
6. Vania Adkins, born 1879. MARY ANN SMITH. Born April 21, 1858/died Dec. 19, 1934. (Sources: tombstone, death certificate.and obituary, Aged Woman At Pear Succumbs, Raleigh Register, Beckley, Saturday, Aug. 28, 1948, Page 5.) Mary Ann married John Robert Plumley on July 24, 1873, in Raleigh County. (Source: Dodd, Jordan, comp.. West Virginia Marriage Records, 1863-1900.) John was born on Dec. 18, 1853 (date from tombstone), a son of George Washington Plumley and Nancy Catherine Bennett Plumley. J.R. Plumley, 46 year old farmer, husband of Mary A. Plumley, died of fever on March 18,1899, in Raleigh County, according to his death record. Photo of Mary Ann Smith and John Robert "Bob" Plumley. (Shared by Hope Plumley Heller.) Mary Ann and John are buried in the New Salem Missionary Church cemetery. Find A Grave Memorial 14759213 and 14759187. They had 10 children. 1. Abraham Ervine Plumley (sometimes seen as Ervin Abraham Plumley) was born on Feb. 8, 1876, in Raleigh County. (WV, Births Index, 1804-1938, FHL Film Number: 598415) He married Mary Lena Plumley in 1887 in Raleigh County. (WV, Marriages Index, 1785-1971) Mary Lena was born on May 10, 1879, in Franklin County, Va., a daughter of John Goodson and his wife Mary Holland. Abraham, a farmer, died on Dec. 8, 1940, in Abraham. (WV, Deaths Index, 1853-1973, FHL Film Number: 598426) Mary Lena died on Dec. 1, 1968, in West Virginia. They are buried in the New Salem Missionary Baptist Church cemetery: Find A Grave Memorial 14758401 2. Rosetta Frances Plumley was born on July 26, 1877, in Raleigh County, W.Va. (WV, Births Index, 1804-1938, FHL Film Number: 598415) Rosetta married James Emmett Garten, a son of John Marshall Garten and Louise Jane Gwinn Garten, in 1898 in Raleigh County. Marriage record. James died on July 11, 1947, in a Clifton Forge, Va., hospital. (J.H. Garten Is Death Victim, Post-Herald, Beckley, W.Va. Friday, July 11, 1947, Page 10.) Rosetta died on May 7, 1950, in Beckley, Raleigh County. (WV, Deaths Index, 1853-1973, FHL Film Number: 598427) Rosetta and James are buried in The End of the Trail Cemetery, Clintonville, Greenbrier County, W.Va. Find A Grave Memorial 133397164 and 133397238. 3. William Isaac Plumley was born on Feb. 14, 1878, in Raleigh County and died on June 19, 1953, in Abraham, Raleigh County. (Death record, obituary, William Plumley Dies At Residence, Post-Herald, Beckley, June 20, 1953, Page 5.) William married Grace V. Bennett in 1909 in Raleigh County. (Marriage record.) Grace was born on April 21, 1893, a daughter of Nancy Elizabeth and John Rufus Bennett. She died on Dec. 15, 1924, in Raleigh County. William married Emma Mary Loudermilk in 1928 in Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, W.Va. Emma was a daughter of Charles Thomas Loudermilk and Sally Hayslett Loudermilk. (WV, Births Index, 1804-1938, FHL Film Number: 595033.) Emma Mary died on May 16, 1964, in Raleigh County. William and Grace are buried in New Salem Missionary Baptist Church cemetery in Abraham. Find A Grave Memorial 14759759 and 14759786. Emma Mary is buried in the Loudermilk Cemetery, Clintonville, Greenbrier County. Find A Grave Memorial 130089275. 4. Martha Ellen Plumley was born on Aug. 4, 1880, in Pear, Raleigh County, W.Va., and died on 25 Aug. 25, 1948, in her home at New, Raleigh County. (Death certificate; Goodson Funeral Rite Will Be Held Today, The Post-Herald, Beckley, W.Va., Saturday, Aug. 28, 1948, Page 5.) She married George Floyd Goodson in 1896 in Raleigh County. (Marriage record.) George was born on Oct. 24, 1875, in Virginia, a son of John William Goodson and wife Mary Catherine Holland. George died on Oct. 6, 1955, in Raleigh County. (Death certificate.) Martha is buried in New Salem Missionary Baptist cemetery. Find A Grave Memorial 21382738. George is buried in the Goodson Cemetery #1, Bragg, Raleigh County. Find A Grave Memorial 64596656. 5. Izora Ann Plumley was born on Aug. 2, 1892, in Raleigh County and died on 25 Nov 1958 in Summers County, W.Va. (WV, Deaths Index, 1853-1973, FHL Film Number: 589345.) Izora married John Robert Bennett in 1902 in Raleigh County. (WV, Marriages Index, 1785-1971.) John was born on May 25, 1873, in Raleigh County near Pluto, a son of William Bennett and Martha Ferguson Bennett. Izora died on 25 Nov 1958 in Summers County, W.Va. John died on Nov. 12, 1961, in Raleigh County. Izora and John are buried in the John Bennett Cemetery in Pluto. Find A Grave Memorial 95874679 and 95874430. 6. Jacob L. Plumley was born on Dec. 18, 1884, in Raleigh County. He died on June 10, 1954, in Abraham, Raleigh County. (Find A Grave.) Jacob married Nora Belle Kincaid in 1935 in Raleigh County. (Marriage record.) Nora was born on May 11, 1902, a daughter of Lewis Harvey Kincaid and Mittie Angeline Todd Kincaid. (Find A Grave.) Nora was the widow of Jacob’s brother Charles. Nora died on Nov. 3, 1947, in Abraham. (Find A Grave.) Jacob and Nora are buried in the New Salem Missionary Baptist Church cemetery in Abraham. Find A Grave Memorial 14759122 and 14759142. 7. Darling Plumley was born on Jan. 25, 1887, and died on Dec. 15, 1887, in Raleigh County. (WV, Deaths Index, 1853-1973, FHL Film Number: 598425.) He is buried in the New Salem Missionary Baptist Church cemetery in Abraham. Find A Grave Memorial 21382154. 8. John Harvey “Johnnie” Plumley was born on Dec. 13, 1888, in Raleigh County, W.Va., according to his birth record. His tombstone says his birthday was in October. John died on July 26, 1921, and was buried in New Salem Missionary Baptist Church cemetery. Find A Grave Memorial 21382113. John married Almeda “Allie” Plumley in 1910 in Raleigh County. Allie was born on Oct. 20, 1891, in Pear, Raleigh County, a daughter of Allen Plumley Sr. and his wife Mary Frances Lilly. (West Virginia, Births Index, 1804-1938, FHL Film Number: 598415. Obituary) Allie married Edward Gordon, son of John Gordon and Ann Nolan Gordon, on Oct. 21, 1921, in Perry County, Ohio. (Ohio, County Marriages, 1774-1993.) Edward died in 1931 in Ohio and was buried in Mount Calvary Catholic Cemetery, New Straitsville, Perry County, Ohio. Find A Grave Memorial 65939290 Allie died on 20 Feb 1965 and was buried in Sunset Memorial Park, Beckley. Find A Grave Memorial 106922973. 9. Virginia Malinda “Virgie” Plumley was born on April 28, 1891, and died May 10, 1928, in Raleigh County. (Find A Grave.) Virgie married Levi Neely Bennett in 1908 in Raleigh County. (West Virginia, Marriages Index, 1785-1971.) Levi was born on Aug. 31, 1886, in Raleigh County, a son of William Bennett and Margaret Ferguson Bennett. He died on May 17, 1969, in Baltimore. (Levi N. Bennett Succumbs At 82, The Post-Herald, Beckley, Monday, May 19, 1969, Page 6.) Virgie and Levi are buried in the John Bennett Cemetery Pluto, Raleigh County. Find A Grave Memorial 95885376 and 95884699. 10. Charles Ermine Plumley was born on June 10, 1896, in Raleigh County, and died on on Aug. 1, 1934, in Raleigh County, a victim of homicide. He married Nora Belle Kincaid in Raleigh County in 1920. (Marriage record.) Charles is buried in the New Salem Missionary Baptist Church cemetery. MARTHA CAROLINE SMITH. Born 18 Aug 1865, according to her death certificate and tombstone. Note: Martha's birth year is 1862 in Our Families, Page 114. She died of "fever" at age 34 on March 17, 1900, in Raleigh County, W.Va., after the March 8th birth of her youngest child Everette. Martha was the wife of Charles "Charley" Richmond. The 1900 federal census of Richmond District, Raleigh Co., W.Va., taken in June, shows Martha's mother Catherine Smith, 74, living with the motherless Richmond family. Martha and husband Charley are buried in New Salem. Death record link. Find a Grave link. Charley Richmond Taken by Death; Rites Set Monday, 1952. Charley Richmond's birth record. Children of Charley and Martha, from a list provided by a great granddaughter (thank you, Wanda L.):
1. Ladona May Richmond, born 22 Feb 1886 in Raleigh County. Birth record. Ladona, 16, died of consumption on 22 Sep 1902 at Pear, Raleigh County, according to her death record. The tombstone she shares with her mother in New Salem has her death date as 21 Feb 1902. Find a Grave link.
2. Emma Frances Richmond, 15 Sept 1888, Pear, W.Va./15 Mar 1965, Oak Hill, W.Va. Birth record She married Everette Zachary Buckland (1885-1945) in 1908. Marriage record. Emma Buckland's obituary. Find a Grave link.
3. Della Lorna Richmond, 21 March 1890 at Abraham/died 01 Dec 1951 in Beckley Hospital. Death certificate. Della L. Richmond, 19, married George W. Plumley, 20, in 1909 in Raleigh County. Marriage record. She later married Walter Adkins. Walter and Della are buried in the Adkins Family Cemetery at Pluto, W.Va., "on the old farmstead," according to a family member.
4. Estella Richmond, 03 Feb 1893/20 Dec 1982. (Source for birth date: Social Security Death Index. Death date: family member.) Her name is also seen as "Stella Dare Richmond." Estella Dair Richmond, 19, married Kenzie Sylvester Patton, 21, in 1912 in Raleigh County. Marriage record. Kensie was born 1 Sep 1890 in Eccles, W.Va., according to World War I and II draft records. He died in March 1966, according to the Social Security Death Index. Mr. Patton was a former mayor of Meadow Bridge, W.Va. Obituaries.
5. Charlie Emmett Richmond Jr., 01 Jan 1896, Raleigh County, W.Va./08 July 1979 in Tennessee. Birth record: Charley Emette Richmond, Corrected 9/11/45, Bible record & Father's Affidavit. Social Security Death Index: Charley E. Richmond. Birth: 1 Jan 1896. Death: 9 Jul 1979 (note different date) - Mountain Home, Washington, Tennessee.
6. Merrida Elliott Richmond, 01 Jun 1898, Raleigh County/27 Dec 1979, Union, W.Va. Birth record. In 1917, he married Edith Mina Eskew, who died 13 March 1979. Marriage record.
7. Everette Roosevelt Richmond, 08 Mar 1900 at Pear, W.Va./12 Sept 1968. Birth record. Everette, 43, divorced, married Margie E. Higginbotham, 25, in Fayette County, W.Va., in 1943. Marriage record. Obituaries. WILLIAM BALLARD SMITH. According to Our Families, William was born in 1852/died in 1907 in Raleigh County and was married twice, to Rebecca C. Plumley and Catherine Plumley Bennett. Notice of William's death, The Raleigh Register, Thursday, Aug. 29, 1907, Page 4. Photo of William Ballard Smith and Catherine. (Contributed by Dale M.) William had 11 children with Rebecca and two with Catherine. GENERAL MARION SMITH. Born 05 Mar 1854/died 28 Jan 1924. He married Frances Plumley, daughter of Washington and Catherine Plumley, on 15 May 1873. (Source: "Marriage Records of Raleigh County West Virginia 1850-1910" compiled by Ronald Ray Turner.) They are buried in New Salem. Four of their children died within a few weeks: The Deaths of Four Smith Children in 1898, research notes by Eva Smith-Carroll, revised May 2, 2017. All of their children were born in Raleigh County, according to Our Families. 1. John M. Smith, born 31 Mar 1874. John, 16 months old, died of fever on 20 Aug 1875. Death record.
2. Mary Catherine Smith, born 19 April 1877. Mary married Benjamin Franklin Jones in 1896 in Raleigh County. Marriage certificate. She died at age 63 on 13 Nov 1940 in Raleigh County. Death certificate. Mr. Jones, born 09 Jan 1880 in Floyd County, Va., a son of Ira Jones (death certificate) and wife Cordelia "Billie" Booth, died 30 Aug 1957 in Beckley, Raleigh County. (B.F. Jones obituary) Mr. and Mrs. Jones are buried in the New Salem cemetery, Abraham. Find a Grave Memorial# 21382068. Children:
Ermen William Jones (delayed birth certificate, death notice, family “thank you” ad ), husband of Della Bennett, (Find A Grave Memorial# 90913560);
Charles Davis Jones, (Find A Grave Memorial# 108362717),married Letha A. Plumley, daughter of Lemon William Plumley and wife Virginia "Jennie" Bennett in 1934 (marriage record, Find A Grave) and Margaret Lee Greene in 1951 (marriage record, Find A Grave);
Ira B. Jones (obituary), husband of Thelma Burford Jones (obituary) daughter of H.T. and Amanda Burford;
James Arlie Jones (Find A Grave Memorial# 21382534);
Juddie Jones, husband of Effie Kelly Jones, daughter of James Kelly, (see James under Martha A. Vest, Vest page) (marriage record, Find A Grave Memorial# 21382538);
Letha M. Jones Todd (1903-88. Find A Grave 128344969), wife of Jesse Jason Todd (Find A Grave 128344949), son of George and Amanda Todd;
Bertha Clara Jones Taylor, (obituary), wife of Olen Ray Taylor; and
Addie Frances Jones Bennett (death certificate, Find A Grave Memorial# 53553634) wife of Luther H. Bennett. After Addie's death, Mr. Bennett married Mogene Tincher. Bennetts Of Abraham Push Berry Business (1958).
3. William Silas Smith, born 14 Sep 1879 and died 10 Feb 1961, Abraham, W.Va. Obituary. He married Della Bowling, a teacher at Smith School. Third Generation Is Running The Smith Farm At Abraham, by Pauline Haga, Beckley Post-Herald, W.Va., 30 Aug 1974, Page 13. General Marion Smith land. Photo -- B.B. Hurley.
4. James E. Smith, born 25 Dec 1880 at Abraham. James, 17, died 27 March 1898 of diphtheria. (See Research Notes above.) He was buried in the New Salem Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery. Find a Grave.
5. Charles D. Smith, born 08 Oct 1882. Charles, 15, died 24 Feb 1898 from diphtheria. He buried in New Salem Missionary Baptist Church at Abraham. Find a Grave.
6. Roxie Francis Smith, born 13 Jun 1884, Abraham, W.Va. Birth record. Roxie married Calvin Wesley Plumley in 1904 in Raleigh County, W.Va. Marriage certificate. She died on 15 Feb 1920 in Pear, Raleigh County. Death certificate. Death registry. Calvin was born 27 Oct 1885 in Raleigh County, a son of Jackson Plumley and wife Minerva Richmond. He died 03 Oct 1961 at his Shady Spring, Raleigh County, home. Obituaries. He married Elsie Kincaid, daughter of Lewis Harvey Kincaid and wife Mittie Angeline Todd in 1920. Marriage record. Elsie died 11 May in a Beckley, W.Va., hospital. Roxie, Calvin, Elsie and Elsie's parents are buried in the New Salem cemetery. Find a Grave.
7. Parris C. Smith, born 29 Dec 1886. Parris, 11, died 29 Jan 1898 of diphtheria. He is buried in the New Salem Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery. Find a Grave.
8. Merida E. Smith, born 23 May 1888 at Abraham, Merida, 9, died 01 Mar 1898 of diphtheria. He was buried in the New Salem Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery. Find a Grave. The 1974 newspaper article and Find a Grave say Merida was a daughter. But the tombstone says “He.” and the 1888 birth record is for a male.
9. Jasper Lee Washington Smith, born 02 Oct 1889 at Abraham. Birth record. He died 07 Jul 1906. "Jasper Smith, aged 19 years, was accidentally killed by the discharge of his own gun. Smith had been hunting and was returning to his home when the fatal accident occurred." His gun discharged and shot him in the neck. Death was instant, according to a newspaper account. Raleigh man Killed By Discharge of Gun, Hinton Daily News, W.Va., 12 July 1906. Jasper was buried in New Salem. Find a Grave.10. Effie Medora Smith was born 31 Oct 1891 in Abraham, W.Va. She married Squire David Bennett. Effie died 30 Nov 1974 in Beckley. Obituaries.
11. Joseph Omer Smith, born 29 May 1895 at Abraham. Died 17 Dec 1953, Raleigh Co., W.Va. Death certificate.
12. Elmer J. Smith, born 25 Feb 1897. Died 26 Oct 1952. Death certificate. Obituary.
13. Marion Smith, born 23 Oct 1899 at Meadow Creek, W.Va. Birth record. Marion, 11 months old, died 22 Sep 1900 in Raleigh County of whooping cough. Death record. He isn't named in the death record or the tombstone in New Salem. Find a Grave. Our Families, Page 123, lists his name as Lacy.
NOTE: Alexander Richmond was born 03 Apr 1872 in Raleigh County, W.Va., a son of Clarinda Richmond, a single woman. Marion Smith is listed as the boy's father. Alexander's descendants believe that his father was General Marion Smith. Birth record.
ERVIN SMITH. Also seen as Irvin. Born 15 March 1854, Fayette County, W.Va. (Our Families, Page 114.); died 22 Jan 1940, Summers County, W.Va., according to his 1940 death certificate. His tombstone says 20 Jan: Meadow Creek Community Cemetery site. The cemetery site has Ervin's obituary and a tombstone picture. He also has a memorial page on Find a Grave. He married Nancy Angeline Bragg in 1878, Summers County. Marriage record. Nancy Angeline was born 22 Jan 1856, Greenbrier County, W.Va., daughter of Ira and Lucinda Bragg. Birth record. Nancy, 37, died 23 Jun 1894, Raleigh Co., of consumption. Death record. She was buried in the New Salem Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery, Abraham, W.Va. Find a Grave. Children of Ervin Smith and Nancy Angeline Bragg are:
1. Charley Lee Smith, born 02 Jul 1879, Raleigh Co.; died 06 Feb 1907. (Source: Shuck, Larry G., Our Families: Shuck, Fleshman, Sydenstricker, Smith, Lewis, Kincaid, Keister, et. al., of West Virginia, Gateway Press Inc., Baltimore, Md, 1995, Page 124. Family Bible, Nora Corkey, Ashland, Va.)
2. John Marshall Smith, born 03 Jun 1881, Raleigh Co.; died 01 Apr 1904. (Source: Our Families, Page 124.)
3. Ida Bell Smith, born 21 May 1883, Raleigh Co.; died 23 Mar 1920. (Source: Our Families, Page 124.) Ida Bell married James Foster Craycraft 07 Jan 1903 in Raleigh Co. Marriage record. James was born 30 Aug 1871, Robinson County, Ky., died 28 Jan 1940 (Source: Find a Grave.) His parents were Thomas and Zerilda Craycraft. (1880 U.S. Census, Robinson Co.) After Ida's death, James married Mary, born abt. 1872, W.Va. (1930 census, Summers Co.) Ida and James are buried in the New Salem Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery, Abraham, W.Va. Find a Grave.
4. Baby Boy Smith, born 17 Mar 1887, Raleigh Co.; died 20 Mar 1887 in Raleigh Co. (Source: Our Families, Page 124.) NOTE: death record has different date of death: 27 March 1887. Cause of death unknown.
5. Walter Marion Smith, born 02 Jul 1888, Raleigh Co.; died 25 Dec 1959, Meadow Creek, W.Va. Walter was killed by a blow to the back of his head. Death certificate. Married Violet Elizabeth Massau in 1914. (Source: Our Families, Page 124)
6. Jessie Ervin Smith, born 30 May 1891, Raleigh Co.; died 17 Jan 1931 (Source: Our Families, Page 124.) He married Maude Plumley; born 11 May 1895; died 19 Nov 1934. She was a daughter of Alexander "Elick" Plumley and wife Cora Mae Thompson. (Source: Find a Grave.) Jessie was buried in the New Salem cemetery. Find a Grave. Maude was buried in Washington Plumley Cemetery, Abraham, Raleigh County, W.Va. Find a Grave.
7. Sarah Emma Smith, born 04 Nov 1893 in Raleigh Co.; died 26 Jun 1896 (Source: Our Families, Page 124, and birth record. ) NOTE: Death record is wrong. Sarah was almost 3, not 3 months old.
Ervin's second wife was also named Nancy. In 1895 in Raleigh County, Ervin married Nancy Abagail Smith Bragg, widow of Abraham Bragg. She was born in Montgomery County, Va. (Our Families, Page 114.) Marriage record.
JACOB SMITH. Born in 1860 in Raleigh County and married Susan (no last name given). (Our Families, Page 114.)
GEORGE WASHINGTON SMITH JR. Born 30 Jan 1860/died 06 Apr 1940. George had 16 children: nine children with first wife Emily Alice Vandall and seven with second wife Emma Catherine Biars. George, Emily and Emma are buried in the New Salem Missionary Baptist Cemetery, Abraham, W.Va. (For more information on George Jr.'s children and links to Vandall information, go to the separate George Smith Jr. page. Emma's birth family information is on the Biars page.)