IN MEMORY OF...
- Cecil Clyde Cochran, 101, died on Saturday, May 20, 2017, in Roanoke Va. Mr. Cochran was a former resident of Summers County, W.Va. He was a son of Ora and Michael Alexander Cochran. He was a grandson of of Robert Edward Cochran. Obituary online. Ruth and Charles Cochran page.
- Ned Preston Cochran, 90, of Jumping Branch, Summers County, W.Va., died on Dec. 10, 2016. He was a son of Ora and Michael Alexander Cochran. He was a grandson of of Robert Edward Cochran. Obituary online. Ruth and Charles Cochran page.
- Ruby Ann Harvey, 63, of Beckley, W.Va., died on Sept., 19, 2015. She was a daughter of Cody Leo Harvey and wife Lestine Manzy Adkins. Ruby, a family historian, was a descendant of Electra Adeline Gadd. Obituary. Gadd page.
- Richard Vest Sr., 82,of Lenoir City, Tenn., passed away Thursday, July 30, 2015. He was a son of Oral Lee Vest and Dexter Clyde Lowe Vest. Link to obituary. Click Funeral Home, Tenn.
- Dorothy Jean Smith, 87, died on Friday, May 8, 2015, at Plateau Medical Center in Oak Hill, W.Va. She was a daughter of Jacob Charles Smith and Irene Hume Smith. Her husband was Estel Smith, son of William Harold Smith and Ada Kelly Smith. Tyree Funeral Home obituary. She had connections to both the Smiths and the Vests. Her father Jacob was a son of Samuel Henry Smith and Lucinda "Cindy" Vest. Her father-in-law William was a son of Enos Allen Smith. Her mother-in-law Ada was a daughter of Edward Kelly and wife Mary Cadle. Edward's first wife was Martha Adeline Vest. See Cindy Vest and Martha Vest: Vest page.
- Gilda Pearl Vest Hudson, 84, died on March 17, 2015, in Fayetteville, N.C. Mrs. Hudson was a daughter of Ethiel Barah Vest and wife Sarah Justice Vest and a granddaughter of Columbus and Malinda Vest. Find A Grave. Vest - Page 3.
- Glema Blanche Cochran Wills, 98, of Jumping Branch, W.Va., passed away on Feb. 27, 2015, in Summers County, W.Va. She was a daughter of Michael Alexander Cochran and wife Ora Dell Simmons and wife of the late Alfred Harloe Wills. Mrs. Wills was a granddaughter of Robert Edward Cochran. Obituary online. Ruth and Charles Cochran page.
- Martha Frances Harvey Headington of Michigan passed away surrounded by her loving family on July 15, 2014. She was a daughter of Alfred Adolphus Harvey and Nellie Fitzpatrick Harvey.Online obituary Mrs. Headington's grandmother was Mahala E. "Hallie" Gadd Harvey. See Gadd Page 2.
- Lyle Douglas Fox, 75, of Beckley, Raleigh County, W.Va., passed away Saturday, July 5, 2014, at his home. Mr. Fox, a native of Meadow Creek, W.Va., was a son of Bronzie Reo Fox and wife Clara Lula Smith. Rose and Quesenberry obituary. He was a nephew of Euell Fox. See Kay Golda Smith Fox: George Smith Jr. page. and a grandson of William Silas Smith. See General Marion Smith: George Smith Sr.
- Clara Annette Richmond, 56, of Meadow Bridge, W.Va., died on 14 June 2014 in Bowers Hospice House in Beckley, W.Va. She was a daughter of the late Erville Elmore and Dorothy Marie Runyan Richmond. Obituary and photo: Pivont Funeral Home. Dorothy’s father was Andrew “Andy” Runyon, fourth husband of Emma Biars. See Emma Catherine Biars on the George Smith Jr. page.
- Rachel Marie Smith Richmond, 96, of The Villages of Greystone, formerly of Russell Street, Beckley, W.Va., died Thursday, 02 Jan 2014. Obituary. Mrs. Richmond was a granddaughter of George Smith Jr. and wife Emily Alice Vandal. George Smith Jr. page.
- Dianna Lottie Harvey, 65, of White Oak Mountain, W.Va., died on 31 Dec 2013 at Main St. Care in Hinton, W.Va. Miss Harvey was a daughter of the late Cody Harvey and Lestine Adkins Harvey. Obituary. She was a great-great-granddaughter of Andrew Powhatan Gadd. Gadd page one..
- Anna Lee Teaford Gadd, 88, went to be with the Lord on 17 Dec 2013, at Trinity Station Retirement Community, Flatwoods, Ky. Obituary. She was the widow of Daniel Preston Gadd. He was a son of Daniel Pierce Gadd. See Gadd Page 3.
- Zula Gadd Patterson, 80, of the Glenwood Park Road, Princeton, W.Va., died on 16 Dec 2013 at Cassell's Board and Care Facility in Princeton. Mrs. Patterson was a daughter of the late Noah Levi Gadd Sr. and wife Beatrice Gore and a granddaughter of Powell and Emma Gadd. Obituary. Gadd Page 2.
- Cathy Lynn Gadd Daniels of Huntington, W.Va., died on 30 Nov 2013 at St. Mary's Hospital in Huntington. She was a former Bluefield, W.Va., resident and a daughter of William E. Gadd and wife Jo Ann Miller Gadd. She was preceded in death by her mother. Mrs. Daniels was a descendant of James and Rhoda Gadd. Obituary.
- Charles O. “C.O.” “Smitty” Smith Jr., 92, of Beckley, W.Va., passed away Sunday, Nov. 17, 2013. He was a son of C.O. Smith Sr. and wife Flora Arthur and a grandson of Emily Alice Vandall and George Washington Smith Jr. Obituary. Rose and Quesenberry. George Smith Jr. page.
- Bonnie Plumley Pack Helton of Oak Hill, W.Va., died 30 June 2013. Obituary. She was a daughter of Clifford Plumley and wife Pansy Smith Plumley. Mrs. Helton was a descendant of George Washington Smith Sr. -- a granddaughter of William Silas Smith and wife Della Bowling Smith. Go to the George Sr. page.
- Linda Louise Smith Nugen, 62, of Shady Spring, Raleigh County, W.Va., passed away on June 12, 2013, at her home following a long illness. She was born on April 3, 1951, in Beckley, Raleigh County, a daughter of Ernest Smith and Macie Meadows Smith of Shady Spring. Rose & Quesenberry obituary. For more about the Smith family, go to the George Smith Jr. page.
- Ennis Elane White Gadd, 79, of Elgood Road, Princeton, W.Va. died on April 10, 2013 at Princeton Community Hospital. She was the widow of Robert Lee Gadd. Bluefield Daily Telegraph obituary. Tributes.com (For more information about the Gadd family, see Noah Levi Gadd Sr. on Gadd page 2)
- Carrie Eileen Mann, 88, of Daniels, W.Va., passed away on Monday, April 8, 2013, at the Raleigh Center in Daniels. Mrs. Mann was born on July 16, 1924, at Abraham, W.Va., a daughter of C.O. Smith Sr. and Flora Arthur Smith. Raleigh-Herald obituary. Rose & Quesenberry obituary. Her paternal grandparents were George Washington Smith Jr. and first wife Emily Alice Vandall. See Smiths of Abraham, W.Va.
- Elizabeth Ann Sampson Biars, 69, Hinton, Summers County, W.Va. died Sunday, Dec. 23, 2012, at Summers County A.R.H. Hospital after a sudden illness. She was preceded in death by husband Edward “Bubby” Biars and daughter Deonna. Register-Herald obituary. Obituary plus photo. For more information about the Biars, go to the Biars Page.
- Retired Command Sgt. Maj. Basil L. Plumley, 92, formerly of Shady Spring, Raleigh County, W.Va., died 10 Oct 2012 in Columbus, Ga. He was a son of Clay Plumley and wife Georgia Morton, a grandson of Marshal and Catherine Plumley. Basil Plumley, veteran of 3 wars, featured in ‘We Were Soldiers’ movie, dies in Georgia Medals Recommended for These Two Yanks - 1965 Raleigh Register article with information on his family.
- Imogene Smith Gwinn of Meadow Bridge, W.Va., died on 17 Sep 2012. She was a daughter of the late Arthur and Rufina Smith. She was a granddaughter of George Washington Smith Jr. and first wife Emily Vandall. Online obituary at The Register-Herald. George Smith Jr. page.
- Clara Smith Fox Pinnell, 90, died last year – 18 Apr 2011 – in Florida. She was a daughter of William Silas and Della Smith, granddaughter of General Marion and Frances Smith. She married Bronzie Reo Fox, Roy Lincoln Childs and Warren Pinnell. Online obituary and photo. See General Marion Smith: George Smith Sr.
- Mary Elizabeth Plumley of Abraham, Raleigh County, W.Va., died 06 Nov 2011 at the Raleigh General Hospital. Mary Elizabeth was born 27 Sep 1961 at Abraham, a daughter of Elvy A. Plumley and wife Mary M. Bennett. She was the wife of Danny Ray Plumley and daughter-in-law of Garland Plumley and wife Dorotha Fox. Register-Herald obituary. Rose & Quesenberry obituary with photo. (See George Smith Jr. page. for information about the Fox family.)
- Ethelene Naoma Plumley Adkins, 87, of Shady Spring, Raleigh County, W.Va., died on 11 March 2012 at her home. Mrs. Adkins was born 26 Feb 1915 at Pear, Raleigh County, a daughter of George Washington (Washie) Plumley and wife Lena Belle Toothman. Mrs. Adkins was a granddaughter of Isaac Plumley and wife Mary J. E. Elizabeth F. (Lizzie) Vest. Vest page 1. She was the widow of William Russell Adkins. Online Register-Herald obituary. Rose and Quesenberry.
- Florine Vest DiNuzzo, 76, of Chicago died 09 March 2012 at Weiss Memorial Hospital in Chicago. She was born 18 May 1935 at Jumping Branch, Summers County, W.Va., a daughter of Clarence Cecil Vest and wife Alice Adkins Vest. Mrs. Dinuzzo was a granddaughter of Albert and Hannah Vest. Link to obituary. Link to Vest page.
- Roscoe Kessler Plumley, 87, Beckley, W.Va., died 06 Feb 2012. Mr. Plumley was author of Plumley Genealogy, Cemeteries in Richmond District and Memories of Richmond District. Born on April 28, 1924 at Pear, W.Va., he was a son of Kessler Plumley and wife Beulah Frances Craycraft. Register-Herald obituary.
- Anthony “Tony” Fakess, 91, of Beckley, W.Va., passed away on 19 Dec 2011, in Beckley. He was married to Ida Vest Fakess who died in 2009. Raleigh-Herald obituary. Ida was a daughter of Ethiel B. Vest and wife Sarah Justice. Vest Page 3.
- Della Ruby Smith Plumley, 85, Beckley, Raleigh County, W.Va., passed away on 07 Nov 2011. She was the wife of Roscoe Plumley. Mrs. Plumley was a daughter of William Silas Smith and wife Della Bowling and a granddaughter of General Marion Smith and wife Frances Plumley. Online obituary. George Smith Sr. page.
- Steven Eugene Biars, 61, of Portsmouth, died Monday, Oct. 3, 2011, at Southern Ohio Medical Center. Mr. Biars was born Sept. 18, 1950, in Portsmouth, Ohio, a son of the late John Henry Biars and Goldie Mae Cooper Biars-Stiles. Link to Portsmouth Times obituary. His grandfather was John Phillip A. Biars. See Biars Page.
- Wesley Richard Martin, 79, Princeton, W.Va., died at home on 19 Sept 2011. It was his 56th wedding anniversary. Survivors include his wife Lila Neely Martin. He was born in Athens, W.Va., on 18 May 1932, a son of the late Zina Martin (Zina's obituary) and Ada Sloan Martin. Wesley was descended from John Martin and wife Susanna Waggoner. His father Zina was one of seven children born to William H. French Martin (1850-1922), a son of David Martin and Hester Shumate, and wife Mary Elizabeth Oxley (1850-1933). according to a Martin section in a Mercer County history. David's parents were John Martin and Susanna Waggoner. (Gadd-Martin page). Link to Wesley Richard Martin obituary.
- David Arnold Smith, 58, of Grafton, W.Va. He died 26 Aug 2011 at the Grafton City Hospital. Among his survivors are wife Elizabeth Ann, two daughters and a sister. Links: David's memory page at the funeral home site. Mountain Statesman obituary online.
Tribute by Russell E. Bennett Jr.
My third cousin and BEST friend, David Arnold Smith of Grafton, W.Va., passed away of a massive heart attack on 26 August 2011. His passing leaves a void in my life.
David was a passionate member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans who was currently serving as Lieutenant of the West Virginia Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. He worked tirelessly to ensure that Confederate Veterans (and others) had a proper headstone. His work was recently featured by a Clarksburg area television station. (Go to Taylor County Man Finds Unmarked War of 1812 Grave. WBOY Channel 12, updated, June 20, 2011)
David was also a tireless re-enactor who annually participated in events at Laurel Hill, Gettysburg, Rich Mountain, and Cedar Creek.
He was my mentor in helping me to learn the process of properly marking veterans'
David was born in Pontiac, Mich., 31 May 1953, the son of Oley and Marjorie Morris Smith.
He was an employee of the West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection working on mine site reclamation.
Funeral services were Wednesday, 31 Aug 2011, at Donald G. Ford Funeral Home in Grafton, W.Va., with the Rev. Sue Lowther officiating. Interment was at the Woodsdale Memorial Park Cemetery, Grafton, W.Va.
- Virgie Belle Suttle Bennett, 93, of Bradley, W.Va., formerly of Skelton, died 16 Aug 2011, at the home of her daughter Helen Farley. Mrs Bennett was the last surviving member of her birth family. She was born 21 Dec 1917 at Sanger, W.Va., a daughter of Walter Settle and wife Alice Kelly. (Alice was a daughter of Martha Vest and Edward Kelly. See Vests of White Oak Mountain: page 1.) Link to Register-Herald obituary. (Note: her father's name was spelled "Settle" so her maiden name may be in error in the obit. If you know the correct spelling, please let me know.)
- James Edward Biars, 73, Hinton, W.Va., died 09 May 2011 in Sunbridge PineLodge Nursing Home in Beckley, W.Va., following a long illness. Born June 8, 1938 in Hinton, he was the son of the late Edward E. and Ruby Spade Biars. His paternal grandparents were Augustus Biars and wife Myrtle I. Bragg. Link to online obituary. Biars family history.
- Mildred Ruth Cole Scott, 90, of Jumping Branch, Summers County, W.Va., died 28 March 2011. Mrs. Scott was born 12 Feb 1921 at Jumping Branch, a daughter of Ezra Calloway and wife Ruby Cochran. Online obituary. She was a descendant of Robert Edward Cochran and wife Virginia Pack. More about Mrs. Scott’s branch of the Cochran family is on Vest/Cochran Page 2.
- Howard William “Uncle Bill” Underwood, 84, of Jumping Branch, W.Va., died Sunday, 06 Feb 2011 at Summers County Appalachian Regional Hospital following a long illness. Ronald Meadows Funeral Parlor obituary. Bill was one of the "Underwood boys" who lived next door to my White Oak Mountain home.
- Deonna Biars, 33, of Hinton, W.Va., went home to be with Jesus, 03 Feb 2011 at Greenbrier Valley Medical Center. Deonna was the daughter of James “Bubby” and Elizabeth “Ann” Biars of Hinton. She was a great granddaughter of Augustus Biars and wife Myrtle I. Bragg.. Ronald Meadows Funeral Parlor obituary. Biars family history.
- Ordie Robert Vest, 13 Dec 1915/28 Jan 2011. Ordie was a son of Ordie Jennings Vest and wife Pearl Maye. Link to online obituary. His paternal grandparents were John Vest and wife Mary E. Gadd. See the Mary E. Gadd section of Gadd page 2.
- Nellie Lucas Bennett, 94, of Hinton, W.Va., went home to be with Jesus Dec. 26, 2010, at the Summers County Appalachian Regional Hospital following a brief illness. Born Jan 18, 1916 at White Oak she was the daughter of the late Chap and Rhoda Vest Lucas. Mrs. Bennett was a granddaughter of Edward Anderson Vest and wife Virginia Frances Farley. She was the author of a published short story, "Growing Up on White Oak Mountain." Online biography and photo.
- Wanda L. Lilly Kirk, 95, died 28 Sep 28 2010 at her home in Nimitz, W.Va., following a long illness. Born 29 Aug 1915 in Summers Co., W.Va., she was a daughter of the late Oliver S. and Callie Mae Vest Bennett and granddaughter of John Tyler Vest and wife Mary A. E. Janney and Jacob Bennett and wife Rachel Cochran. Link to obituary online.
- Mason Lee Furrow, 4, of Shady Spring, W.Va., passed away on 02 Sep 2, 2010, at Duke University, Durham, N.C., following a 4-month battle with cancer. Mason was a Vest descendant, a great-great grandson of Wriston Richmond and wife Callie Matilda Vest. Obituary. Tributes.com site with photo
- Raymond Lee Nugen II. Lee, 27, of Shady Spring, W.Va., passed away Sept. 7, 2010, from injuries received in an automobile accident. Lee was the son of Linda Smith Nugen and the late Raymond Nugen and the grandson of the late Ernest Smith and wife Macie Meadows. Lee was a descendant of George Washington Smith Jr. and wife Emma Biars. George Smith Jr. page. In addition to his mother, survivors include his wife, Paula Meadows Nugen, and sister, Andrea Nugen Testerman. Rose and Quesenberry obituary and picture. Register-Herald obituary.
- Dorothy M. Gadd Epling, 04 Aug 1918/13 Aug 2010. Obituary (newclip courtesy of Dale M., color photo from an online site). Mrs. Epling was a daughter of Noah Gadd and wife Beatrice Gore. Link to online obituary and guestbook.
- Robert Lee Gadd, 83, of Elgood Road, died Tuesday, Sept. 22, 2010, at home, surrounded by his loving family. Born Jan. 25, 1927 in Bertha, he was the son of Noah and Beatrice Gore Gadd. Obituary. An acquaintance said about Mr. Gadd, there's "no better man anywhere."